First built in 1160, the fortifications around the site of the present-day Moorish castle were destroyed when the Spanish reconquered Gibraltar from 1309 – 1333. The current tower of homage was rebuilt in 1333 AD when Abu’l Hassan recaptured Gibraltar. Close inspection of the Tower shows the plethora of battle scars gifted to the structure by its indomitable position on the rock throughout the various sieges and battles for the territory.
Viewing the site from below is possible; however, climbing the steps inside is not recommended for those with limited mobility. Due to the historical value of this site works are unable to be undertaken to rectify this.